Thursday, June 23, 2011

What Problem? It's Working As Designed!

When upgrading from TSM 5.x to 6.x you have probably found that your select queries don't return in table format but in list format. You ask yourself, "WTH is going on here?" First off don't complain to IBM, it's "working as designed." You see with the change of the TSM DB to DB2 many of table column widths have changed. To have your select statements return in table format IBM states that you should use the CAST function on certain (if not all) columns. Otherwise, the best alternative is to save the results in commadelimited format and open the data in Excel. Here's the APAR??? that states it's not a problem. To quote Lady Gaga, TSM 6.x was "Born This Way!"

NOTE: Is it me or does IBM's last example leave one scratching their head wondering how using cast helped???

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Memory Efficient Backup

I have come across a few servers that have memory issues when backing up large drives / filesystems and using MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP was not resolving the backup failures. The error code I would see was

ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory allocation.

The problem was one drive that has millions of small files all under one directory. It's one of those poorly devised custom programs, and I've seen it a hundred times.  I could journal the drive, but we seemed to get better results with an alternative method.  A coworker reminded me of the INCLUDE.FS option using DISKCACHE and specifying the cache location.


With the include.fs TSM will only use the memoryefficientbackup diskcache method for that particular drive, allowing the rest of the backup to perform normally. So if you have a drive or filesystem with millions of files this is an alternative to journaling.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Drive Matching

While working with a VTL I realized how much I hated matching drive definitions on a LAN-Free client or remote library client and decided to do something about it. So after searching the web and finding a helpful script to pull rmt and serial numbers from the tape drives discovered on the LAN-Free or Lib-Client I worked it into an AIX shell script that will match the drives rmt with the correct drive definition on the library manager. The key to this working is to have the library manager listed in the lib-clients dsm.sys and to define the following TSM script on the library manager.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-TSM Server Script-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

def script drive_match desc="This script is used by a shell script to match drives to rmts to help create DEFINE PATH statements"
upd script drive_match "select 'define path $1 ' || drive_name || ' srct=server destt=drive libr=' || library_name || ' device=/dev/$2 -"
upd script drive_match " online=yes' from drives where DRIVE_SERIAL='$3' "

-=-=-=-=-=-=-UNIX Shell Script-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ID=`cat /home/tsmadmin/VARS/ADSMID`
PA=`cat /home/tsmadmin/VARS/ADSMPA`
touch ./drv_match.mac
cat /dev/null > ./drv_match.mac
echo "This script will build the DEFINE PATH statements for a server"
echo ""
echo "Enter the Library Manager Name: \c"
read SERV
echo ""
echo "What is the TSM server name these paths are going to be generated for: \c"
echo ""
lsdev |grep fscsi | while read FSCS rest
   TAPES=$(lsdev -p $FSCS | grep rmt | grep -v ALT |cut -f1 -d" ")
     for TAPE in $TAPES
         SERIAL=$(lscfg -vl $TAPE | grep Serial | awk -F"." '{printf "%d", $NF}')
         FCS=$(echo $FSCS | sed 's/fscsi/fcs/')
         dsmadmc -id=$ID -pa=$PA -dataonly=yes -commadelimited -servern=$SERV run drive_match $TSMSRV $TAPE $SERIAL | grep -v ANR >> ./drv_match.mac
cat ./drv_match.mac

-=-=-=-=-End Script-=-=-=-=-=-

You'll notice I save the output as a macro so it can be reviewed before executed. If you'd like to run the macro automatically then just add a dsmadmc line at the end.

The following is some sample output:

define path tsm8 VTL3_00332 srct=server destt=drive libr=VTL3 device=/dev/rmt88 online=yes
define path tsm8 VTL3_00336 srct=server destt=drive libr=VTL3 device=/dev/rmt89 online=yes
define path tsm8 VTL3_00340 srct=server destt=drive libr=VTL3 device=/dev/rmt90 online=yes
define path tsm8 VTL4_00444 srct=server destt=drive libr=VTL4 device=/dev/rmt91 online=yes

Friday, June 10, 2011

TSM Server V6 AIX Install/Upgrade Gotchas

So after setting up numerous TSM 6.1 and 6.2 servers here are a few of the things that have been little gotchas. They were never upgrade stoppers but they did cause some headaches as we determined what was causing the errors.

  • Check the ATAPE version (recommend 11.x)
  • Check your xlC C++ runtime level (recommend or greater)
  • With AIX you must have IOCP set to available or else you'll have to update the OS setting and reboot the server.
  • Make sure the user id that the TSM 6.x instance is running under has ulimit set to unlimited. Real pain when you go to create disk volumes and you forgot to set the ulimit. It was my absentminded moment!
  • Don't forget that the tsmdbmgr.log file ownership needs to be the new ID not root.
  • Also when using RAW disk volumes for TSM diskpools chown the device file (example: /dev/rtsmdata01) to the new user id or TSM will say it's unavailable.
  • With a recent upgrade we could not get the TSM DB backup to execute without an error. It turned out the TSM client's dsmtca file ownership had been accidentally changed to the TSM server's user ID and it MUST BE OWNED BY ROOT for the backup of the TSM DB to execute successfully.
If you have anything you've experienced you consider a "GOTCHA" , whether it be UNIX or Windows, then leave a comment and help others who might run across the same issue(s).