Friday, November 30, 2007
Working through your daily tasks should look something like this, ensuring you have an offsite copy of your primary pools.
Once you're happy with your daily tasks, schedule a test server recovery exercise every quarter. This will allow you to optimise your processes and resolve any potential stumbling blocks. The following two articles look at recovering the server.
http://ryanpartington.com/article/tsmdisaster/ - Step by step text
http://ryanpartington.com/article/tsmrecovery/ - Step by step videos (posted earlier this week)
Any comments welcome
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Friday, November 16, 2007
(I spy this link is also hidden away in one of the comments below)
There's also an IBM Redbook for TSM 5.5 being written at this very moment and there's likely to be a draft available mid-December (thanks for the info Craig).
Finally for now, it's worth noting that after a touch over three years in service, TSM 5.3 goes out of support at the end of April 2008 - time to exercise those upgrade muscles as I'm sure many shops haven't even taken the leap up to TSM 5.4 yet.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
6 month contract to hire
Up to $105,000 perm salary
- Candidate will be part of the Engineering (Technical Services) group
- The main characteristic of the candidate they are looking for is troubleshooting and the desire to find problems and fix them.
- Skills needed in addition to traditional TSM admin experience;
1. Tivoli Data Protection (TDP) is the #1 skill they are looking for. TDP is Tivoli module that helps back up databases such as SQL and UDB. The client has approximately 50TB a night in database info that needs to be backed up.
2. Server Migration Experience. The client is moving some mainframe based TSM over to a Unix platform. They will also be upgrading some of their older Unix servers to new ones so server migration experience is very important to them.
3. NDMP (Network Data Management Protocol)
4. NAS backups. Currently, their NAS is not mirrored.
- Client currently has 13 TSM servers and is looking to have as many as 30 by the end of next year
- LA facility has 3 servers moving to 7
- Candidate will be on 7/24 oncall rotation once every 8 weeks.
- Candidate will work 45-50 hours per week.
866-491-0601 toll free
Let Them Know You Saw The Post On TSMExpert.org!
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
TSM 5.5 includes integrated key management for encrypted backups, support for VMware's Consolidated Backup option (VCB), snapshot support for Microsoft applications, the ability to do multiple simultaneous restores on sequential disk and the ability to restart the movement of TSM instances from one server to another.
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
I have purchased the TSMExpert.org domain and will be switching the site to that address within the week. The current site address will forward to the new address. Basically the site should stay the same (it will still be hosted by Google) but the new address should make the site easier to find and index by the large search engines. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to let me know.